Rags to Riches is designed especially to share handmade books, journals and paper art. The objects on this blog are made totally of recycled materials or discared paper, and cardboard. Please feel free to comment on any of my postings. I would love to hear from you.
Enjoy
♥♥♥

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Book Workshop for Robin

It was an honored to have Robin Wagner in my book workshop on Sunday. Robin is visiting Australia to attend a conference. She managed to find the time to attend my book workshop. I met Robin last year when she visited my university. We got talking and I told her that one of my passtimes is making handmade books using recycled materials. Robin is a librarian and every librarian loves anything to do with papers and books. Unfortunately, Robin was due to return to the USA when I met her. We kept in touch and I promised her that I will teach her book making next time she is here. So here she is, sitting at my house learning the age old art of Coptic binding.

Here is Robin going through the box of dust jackets looking for a perfect one. It was not an easy task to choose just the right one for her first handmade book!

Here she is putting the last Coptic stitch on her book. She was hard at work all day trying to remember and learn what I taught her. It was not an easy task, but Robin is a sewer so she caught on very quickly and soon she was on her way to finishing her very first handmade book.

I had invited my students from my Wednesday book workshop to join us for the day too. Dennis on the left and Ayako at the top of the photo. Both of them kindly brought a plate to share for lunch. I made pumpkin soup and bread rolls for them. We all had an enjoyable day.

This is the book I made on Sunday using dust jacket with the cute little picture of a dog on a pink chair. I just love the way this dogie lying there without a worry in the world. I finished it in time to take for show and tell at the Wednesday workshop.

3 comments:

Mescrap said...

I hope I was in Australia.
I wish to join you for the workshop.

Micki said...

What a wonderful workshop! I would have loved attending it!
Micki

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

I really like that doggie Nat lying there on that chair!!! And so good Robin came to your workshop. A good day Natima♥x